Saturday, October 6, 2007

The Galt House

I returned from Louisville yesterday after a short three-day conference. It was held at the recently renovated Galt House hotel downtown. The last time I stayed at the Galt House was during the renovation when I'd had the misfortune to be put in East Tower (The Dark Side). At that time the room decor was straight out of the 1970s complete with the garish early American furnishings. The hallways were dimly lit and humidity and gnats seemed to seep through the walls. The room itself smelled like a mixture of mold and outerware of a seasoned smoker, and there was a light film of unknown origin covering the windows and furniture. So when I arrived Wednesday for the conference, I was shocked at the changes. The hotel lobby was lovely with large open area seating and windows everywhere showcasing the gorgeous river view. My room was also expansive and beautifully decorated (aside from the bedding). The only glitch in the whole check-in experience was the front desk staff. It reminded me a lot of the service I consistently receive from Northwest Airlines. As I patiently waited in the check-in line, I watched each clerk's flat expressionless face as they processed their customers. They were rude and unpleasant and seemed more interested in watching the bell hops lugging suitcases in and out the entrance than in the customer immediately in front of them and actually appeared incensed that we were checking in at all. As the days progressed, I realized that this disgusted, unpleasant attitude was like a virus which had spread to all departments. Everywhere I turned for service at the hotel I was met with the same flat expression and disinterest. The one tiny glimmer of hope for the hotel was the catering staff. They were both attentive and friendly with at least a slight understanding of how this whole service provider/customer relationship works. It really made me wonder about the owners of the hotel. If I'd spent millions upon millions of dollars on renovations, I would be absolutely furious to find that the hotel value perception was being undermined by a poor quality staff. They might as well have kept the early American furniture and gnats.

Namaste

No comments: