Monday, February 25, 2008

Just got back from yoga class...my first class since December. Getting back into any form of exercise is a lot like deciding to watch Grey's Anatomy in the middle of season four. All of your friends know all the subplots, who's slept together, and random additional social configurations, but you're the loser who doesn't even know the name of Patrick Dempsey's character. I don't know if you understand this logic. If you do, we should probably get together for a drink sometime.

Last week a very gracious and premium seated season ticket holder invited my daughter and me to see "Annie" at the Carson Center. I am famous for saying that I dislike all musicals (caveat: "The Wizard of Oz"), but I guess I am being forced to throw yet another blanket statement out the proverbial window. I really, really liked "Annie." And I know I'm going out on a limb here with the possiblility of causing some musical aficianados unspeakable anguish...I liked it better than The Producers.

I ran across a couple of friends in the restroom (where else?) that I hadn't seen in years. They had their daughters (aged 5 and 6, respectively) with them to see the play. I felt such pride and a strange sense of relief after meeting their little girls to point at my own daughter seated in the foyer, absently playing with her cell phone..."That's my little girl." (now basically a full-grown woman).

I know that I have an entire blog pending about being a very young mother...maybe even more than that. The entire time my kids were growing up, going to school, and I was one of the youngest room mothers, I never thought there would ever be relief associated with it. I would love to say it's a cake walk by the time they're 17, but just tonight I had to speak with a very reputable and upstanding attorney of Paducah about teenagers and speeding tickets. Parenthood is like taking a high school achievement test. First you're sailing along being embarrassingly self-congratulatory when suddenly the questions turn into a mensa application as you turn the last page.

Namaste

1 comment:

Tim said...

Ah you will be back in the thick of it (yoga class) in no time. To be truthful, the size of the class is making it feel a bit more impersonal for everyone I think. I'm at a loss as to what to do about it though.