Thursday, June 7, 2007

Alzheimer's vs. Dementia

I should have known it was going to be "that kinda day" when my eyeballs popped open at 5:15 without cause. I was undeniably wide awake, but there was no movement at all. I just laid there like a quadraplegic staring at the ceiling...straight up Star Trek sick bay pose. None of the usual rolling around, closing my eyes and drifting back to (pretend) sleep.

Let me interject something here, something you should probably know about me. I am one of those people who is way too jumpy to ever hit snooze or doze off as I might actually FALL asleep...the real thing...as in deep rest. I could sleep for seconds, possibly minutes! This is a chance I could never take. Hell, no. No way. God forbid I should ever wake up late (6 a.m.). The trade off is much too steep. It would absolutely ruin me, possibly forever.

Hmmm...I wonder if this has some connection to my Saturday morning insomnia. Good question. Is there such thing as oversleep-aphobia?

So...I laid there frozen for a full 20 minutes before dragging my feet onto the floor and heading for the coffee maker. May I say, I hate making coffee. Despise it. It's one of those generic things like buying paper towels that spurs hypertension without cause. I especially hate making coffee when I've bought some crappy flavored Folger's because I'd shot the wad earlier in the week buying 1/2 wines at World Market. Anyway, I'd gotten up to make the foul Folger's and moved onto the shower. Got in, washed my hair, was poised to move to phase II with the washing of the self when I looked down and "slam." I'd actually moved through ten minutes of shower time without noticing that I was wearing my BRA. Yep, there I was getting ready to soak up my harness with a little Caress Daily Silkening cleanser. WTF? "I must be losing my ever loving mind!" I marveled aloud to No One [sad frown]. And that's the way it all began. Thank God I have you guys to talk to about this, because I need your help.

Would you say Alzheimer's or straight up dementia? I'm truly torn.

Namaste

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

Good lord girl! I did that same thing once, but I was nine months pregnant at the time.

Actually, I think you're on to something. You should develop some sort of water proof rubber push up bra that you don't HAVE TO take off to shower.