Monday, September 3, 2007

Where do I begin? The weekend has been chock full. You are looking at a mother-in-law. My daughter and her boyfriend were joined in matrimony on Friday during a very small private ceremony. When I'm in the middle of some really big thing, an important event like my daughter getting married, I tend to think about this quote by Andy Warhol that sorta explains how I feel:

"People sometimes say that the way things happen in the movies is unreal, but actually it's the way things happen to you in life that's unreal. The movies make emotions look so strong and real, whereas when things really do happen to you, it's like watching television."

I don't know how to explain it except for that. It's like whatever it is that's happening is so big that my brain can't process it. It gets suspended until I get some private time to really consider it. I'm not one of those people that generally cries at funerals or weddings. I can only cry when something sad catches me totally off-guard...like seeing my daughter try on a wedding gown. Either that or I save up my crying for some incredibly stupid and inappropriate thing like a Lifetime movie.

So, after the matrimonial exchange I kept the baby most of the evening. Nothing makes you more nostalgiac than babysitting your granddaughter. Kids grow up way too fast. It's funny, because they are babies and toddlers for just a little while, then they're age 9 and 10 forever and then they're teenagers for a couple of seconds and they're gone. I'm not sure why that is.

Saturday I spent most of the day cleaning my house. I got the Nick Drake CD Pink Moon from Amazon, so I listened to it about 19 times while I cleaned. Music is the only thing that seems to motivate me to housework. Actually, I guess it's more like a resignation, and I need music to help me forget about the resentment of cleaning's necessity. On Sunday I met up with my friend Brad and we ventured down to the MAC to see To Kill a Mockingbird. It was so fun seeing it on the big screen. All of the characters in the movie said "churren" for the word children which cracked me up. Then afterward Brad accompanied me to Bizzy and Tom's for pad thai. I cannot impress upon you, dear readers, of the magnitude of the dinner's deliciousness. I have had pad thai before and have always been somewhat underwhelmed. This changed my whole attitude. To top it all off, there was a gorgeous strawberry pie for dessert!

By the way, at some point during the weekend, I watched The Painted Veil. There were a couple of predictable points in the movie, but all in all it was quite good. More importantly, Ed Norton was incredibly hot...much hotter than Liev Schreiber who also starred.

Namaste

No comments: